Thursday, March 18, 2010

I'm Pregnant

Sorry, couldn't resist. Pregnant with an idea. Right now. Inside my brain or in that pink aura of creativity around me floats the magnificent answer to the logo I'm struggling with this week. I'm twitchy about a deadline right now. The date is looming for a presentation meeting, I have 8 more days, 5 more days, two, 6 more hours to take the rough scribbles, assorted illustrator parts, bits and bobs and turn them into the most timeless, on strategy, breathtaking logo I've ever designed. That the client will fall head over heels in love with. That's all. Somehow the logo, the best solution always arrives. It's the creative process I know and find true every time. 1.) Collect the information. Gather the ingredients. Pump my head and eyes full till they burst. 2.)Then put a bunch of bad, tired ideas up on the wall. 3.)Think I'm brilliant. 4.) Know I am not. 5.) Say aloud. I am a hack. It will never come again. It's over. My career. My reputation. 6.)Think about looking at other people's solutions for a similar problem. Decide not to. 7.) Go grocery shopping, load dishwasher, feed my chickens, walk, flickr around, paint 8.) Ping! It comes. Be shocked. Act surprised. Show it to the client. They smile. I smile. Simple as having a baby.
Photo from a series of watercolor eggs I did in San Francisco, June 2008. To see some of the logos I've designed go to alyncarlson.com

1 comment:

  1. Does this mean you will also need to eat a lot of weird stuff or chocolate for two people? :D Hope you won't be nauseous in the mornings.

    ReplyDelete